Ingredients for Chicken & Vegetable Bake
- 225g (8oz) carrots, peeled & sliced.
- 22g (8oz) broccoli florets.
- 225g (8oz) cauliflower florets.
- 2 chicken breasts (100g/4oz each).
- 50g (2oz) butter or margarine.
- 50g (2oz) flour.
- 500ml (1 pint) semi-skimmed milk.
- 100g (4oz) Cheddar cheese grated.
- 2 x 25g packs of salted crisps, lightly crushed.
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- Dice the chicken breast & fry over a moderate heat until cooked thoroughly & set to one side.
- Cook the carrots is boiling water for 5 minutes, then add the broccoli & cauliflower & cook for a further 3-5 minutes & then drain.
- Melt the butter/margarine in a large saucepan & stir in the flower.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually add/blend in the milk & bring to the boil over a low heat setting so as not to burn the mixture, stirring continuously until thickened.
- Season well & stir in 75g (3oz) of the cheese.
- Add the cooked pieces of chicken, broccoli & cauliflower to the sauce & make sure everything gets an even coating of the sauce.
- Transfer everything to an oven-proof dish, cover evenly with the crisps & remaining grated cheese. Sprinkle with black pepper to taste.
- Place in the pre-heated oven for about 30 minutes or until golden in colour.
Serve immediately on warm plates & enjoy.