This is a big family favourite of hours & is fairly quick & easy to make. 1 dish is all it takes.
This is a great comfort food that is tasty & easily prepared, it’s been on our family menu list for get-together & party times for years.
The following ingredients makes enough for 4 adults.
- 450g minced beef
- 1 egg
- 60g breadcrumbs
- 4 cloves of garlic – crushed
- quarter of a level teaspoon of salt
- ground black pepper
- half level teaspoon each of dried basil & oregano
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion – finely chopped
- 1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 340ml beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 85g long-grain rice
- 115g frozen peas
- Mix together minced beef, egg, breadcrumbs, half the garlic, salt, some pepper, basil & oregano. Then divide into about 16 equal sizes & roll into balls
- Place meatballs into a large microwave dish. Cover & microwave on high for 3 minutes. Re-arrange the meatballs (inner ones to outer edge & visa-versa), then re-cover & microwave for a further 2 minutes.
- Take the meatballs out of the microwave dish & place on a plate – keep warm in the oven. Mix all the oil, onion & remaining garlic in the microwave dish, cover & microwave on high for 4 minutes, stir halfway through.
- Add the tomatoes, beef stock, tomato purée & all the meatballs to the microwave dish & cover, then microwave on high for 5 minutes stirring halfway through.
- Add the rice, cover & microwave on high for another 3 minutes.
- Reduce the microwave power to medium & microwave for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Add the peas & microwave on high for 3 minutes, then serve with crusty bread & enjoy.